Clayton Hall is a Grade 2* listed building and a rare example of a moated, medieval site. Standing on a scheduled ancient monument it is situated in Clayton Park, Ashton new Road, Clayton, Manchester M11 4RU.
The original hall was built for the Clayton family in the 12th Century, it later passed into the hands of the Byron family, of which the poet Lord Byron was a member. The Byron’s lived here until they sold it to two London merchants, George and Humphrey Chetham. Humphrey is famous for founding Chethams School and Library in the centre of Manchester.
Externally the building is finished mainly in red brick, with some square-panelled timber framing at first floor level. Viewed from the front, the right hand section is the older part of the building, dating back to the 15th century and altered in the 16th and 17th century. It was partly rebuilt and enlarged in the 18th century with further remodelling taking place in the early and late 20th century.
Rooms in the later part of the building have been dressed in Victorian style and offer an opportunity to see what it would have been like to live here in the late 1800's.
Access to the Hall is via a Grade 2 listed, masonry bridge over the moat (at present dry). The bridge is thought to date from the 17th century and is constructed of coursed square sandstone, over two segmental stone arches.
Clayton Hall is owned by Manchester City Council and managed by the Friends of Clayton Park who open the Hall to the public and organise and run school and group visits.